Government and Community Services
The Department of Government and Community Services was created to:
- Facilitate improved community outreach
- Administration of government services
- Resolution of community issues
Government and Community Services Information Sheet
Government and Community Services Pillars for success
For October 2020, we wanted to recognized the City of Columbia Food Policy Council. This committee seeks to address problems found within food production, consumption, processing, distribution, and waste disposal. A primary focus is finding solutions to problems that promote sustainability, economic development, and social justice in the food system of the Columbia and surrounding areas by educating government officials about issues of the food system, making policy recommendations, research, fostering of cooperation among private, public, and non-profit interests. GCS has appreciated both the ability to learn from this group and assist in connecting them with Richland County to promote better outcomes county-wide.
Another goal of the committee is connect community members with opportunities to serve in Richland County. Please sign up for these areas of need if you are available to help out and share them with others!
Axiom Farms: Volunteers are needed to assist with the farm and pack community food boxes. Contact Bonita Clemons if interested at email@example.com
FoodShare SC: Volunteers are needed to become NeighborShare drivers, which are members of the community with transportation that could deliver Fresh Food Boxes twice monthly to homebound members of their community. If you are interested in volunteering please sign up here.
Harvest Hope: Volunteers are currently needed on Mondays & Wednesdays to help pack boxes for the community between 9:00am-1:00pm. If you are interested in volunteering please visit this link.
Harvest Hope is also looking for donations of:
- Dry goods (rice, canned fruit/veg, apple sauce, protein bars, granola bars, pop tarts, bottled water.
- Proteins (peanut butter, canned meats, canned tuna salad, canned chicken salad).
- Any individual size pop top cans such as canned raviolis.
- Cleaning supplies/household supplies (Clorox cleaning supplies, paper towels, toilet paper, paper plates, paper bowls, plastic forks & knives).
- Diapers, baby wipes, baby food.
- Juices, sodas, garbage bags, crackers, chips, cereal & more.
Senior Resources: Volunteer drivers are needed to support our Meals on Wheels program on Mondays-Fridays between 10:45am-12:00pm. If interested please visit the website. Items are also needed to help stock the emergency senior pantry. Donations of the following items are currently being collected: Pop-top cans of soup, tuna, veggies, chewy cereal bars, fruit cups, raisins, peanut butter, jelly, juices, and bottled water & more.
Serve and Connect: Call Omari Fox at 803-997-0244 to drop off donations at 1512 Laurel St.
- Non Perishable Foods
- Toilet tissue & feminine products
- Cleaning supplies/sanitizer
- *NEW* long johns, socks, undergarments (all sizes/genders)
Please contact us with questions or comments.
To view Richland County GIS Mapping (Click Here)