The Richland County Department of Government and Community Services is dedicated to providing the most accurate and essential information to Richland County citizens. GCS is an education hub for citizens.
GCS can provide the following educational services:
- Educational Presentations
- Educational Workshops
- Printed Materials
- Studies on Richland County
GCS Educational Resources
COVID-19 Resources Pages for Richland County School Districts:
Richland School District One: COVID19 FAQs: Phase 2 https://www.richlandone.org/domain/2672
Richland Two E-Learning specifics: Phase 2 https://www.richland2.org/Departments/Communications-Strategic-Partnerships/Reopening-Schools-Task-Force
Lexington-Richland School District 5: Phase 4 https://www.lexrich5.org/20-21reentry
Government & Community Services Citizen Education Programs
- Getting to Know Your County Council Representative
- Learn about the role and responsibilities of County Council and how you can work with them to make Richland County a desirable place to live, work, play, and learn. In this presentation, citizens will learn how the County is districted, how to determine which Councilmember represents them, how to learn more about their Councilmember, and how to get in touch with Councilmembers.
- Careers in County Government
- Working in local government can be rewarding-both personally and professionally-and employment opportunities are available! Using the Government Career Cluster created by the Midlands Education & Business Alliance (MEBA), this presentation will introduce students and job seekers to the various careers in local government, the education and experience required, and some of the related positions in Richland County. Attendees will learn how to search and apply for career opportunities with Richland County.
- How to Get Involved in County Government
- Theodore Roosevelt once said, "The government is us; WE are the government, you and I". This presentation will explain opportunities for citizens to get involved in county government, from helping shape policies and volunteering for some of the County's programs to serve fellow citizens to serve on boards and commissions and running for an elected position. Citizens will learn about what type commitment, expertise, and training is required to serve in County government and how to apply for or inquire about these opportunities.
For more information on one of our educational classes, please contact our department at (803)-576-1546
For questions or comments contact us.