The Richland County Department of Government and Community Services is dedicated to providing the most accurate and essential information to Richland County citizens. GCS is an education hub for citizens.
GCS provides the following educational services:
- Educational Presentations
- Educational Workshops
- Printed Materials
- Studies on Richland County
GCS Educational Resources
Richland School District One: COVID19 FAQs: https://www.richlandone.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=9143
Richland School District Two Wifi Zones: https://www.richland2.org/wifi
Richland Two E-Learning specifics: https://www.richland2.org/Departments/Teaching-Learning/E-Learning
Lexington-Richland School District 5: https://www.lexrich5.org/
List of Internet Providers offering discounted WIFI packages: https://www.wltx.com/article/news/education/sc-department-of-education-provides-list-of-free-and-discounted-internet-access/101-9ebaddba-6d50-4567-9d9e-c69c1f3dcb11?fbclid=IwAR0P8D1TQX2_jkfYPzAPRmV2kITSAJjEqepmXWWJJPD0VucoahUuqoD6lgk
Government & Community Services Citizen Education Programs
- Getting to Know Your County Council Representative
- Learn about the role and responsibilities of County Council and how you can work with them to make Richland County a desirable place to live, work, play, and learn. In this presentation, citizens will learn how the County is districted, how to determine which Councilmember represents them, how to learn more about their Councilmember, and how to get in touch with Councilmembers.
- Careers in County Government
- Working in local government can be rewarding-both personally and professionally-and employment opportunities are available! Using the Government Career Cluster created by the Midlands Education & Business Alliance (MEBA), this presentation will introduce students and job seekers to the various careers in local government, the education and experience required, and some of the related positions in Richland County. Attendees will learn how to search and apply for career opportunities with Richland County.
- Census 2020 & Richland County
- How will Census 2020 affect citizens of Richland County? This presentation will introduce you to the importance of the U.S. Census and why it is important that every County resident be counted. Citizens will learn about the local Complete Count Committee that is working to ensure a complete, accurate count of all citizens in Columbia and Richland County.
- How to Get Involved in County Government
- Theodore Roosevelt once said, "The government is us; WE are the government, you and I". This presentation will explain opportunities for citizens to get involved in county government, from helping shape policies and volunteering for some of the County's programs to serve fellow citizens to serve on boards and commissions and running for an elected position. Citizens will learn about what type commitment, expertise, and training is required to serve in County government and how to apply for or inquire about these opportunities.
For more information on one of our educational classes, please contact our department at (803)-576-1546
For questions or comments contact us.