Is My Business Eligible?
Ordinance No. 049-13HR Sec. 2-641 (a).
For the purpose of this program, a firm will be certified as a Small and Local Business Enterprise (SLBE) (or Emerging SLBE (ESLBE)) with the Office of Small Business Opportunity (OSBO) upon its submission of a completed certification Application, supporting documentation, and a signed and notarized affidavit affirming that it meets all of the SLBE/ESLBE eligibility criteria as set forth below:
1. An independently owned and operated for-profit business as defined by South Carolina Code of Laws, Title 33, Chapter 31;
2. It meets size standard eligibility requirements for Small Business Enterprises as defined below:
- Is not a broker
- Is not a subsidiary of another business
- Is not dominant in its field of operation
- Whose owners are actively involved in day-to-day management and control of the business
- And that also is performing a commercially useful function
Local Business Enterprise (“LBE): A firm having a Principal Place of Business or a Significant Employment Presence in Richland County, South Carolina.
Small Local Business Enterprise (“SLBE”): An independently owned firm that is not dominant in its industry and that satisfies all requirements of being both a “Small Business Enterprise” and a “Local Business Enterprise.” As defined by Ordinance No 049-13HR Sec 2-639 (c) definitions.
Emerging SLBE ("ESLBE"): An emerging firm that meets all of the qualifications of a Small Local Business Enterprise, and:
- Is less than five (5) years old
- Has no more than five (5) full-time employees
- Annual gross sales as averaged over the life of the firm are less than $1 million
Joint Venture (“JV”). An association of two or more persons or businesses carrying out a single business enterprise for which purpose they combine their capital, efforts, skills, knowledge and/or property.
- Joint ventures must be established by written agreement
- Joint ventures must be certified on a bid-by-bid basis
- The joint venture shall not be subject to the average gross receipts and employee limits imposed by this section
- Each individual business participating in the joint venture must be certified by the OSBO as an SLBE
Review Eligibility Requirements.