E-911 Addressing & Road Naming
"Making the safety of Richland County citizens our number one priority, one address at a time."
The purpose of the Enhanced 9-1-1 or E9-1-1 Addressing Program is to provide a comprehensive and uniform system of permanent road addresses for all residences and businesses throughout the county in order to facilitate provision of adequate public safety and emergency response services. Have the ability to link each telephone number to a city-type address that clearly identifies where a telephone is located. To provide a physical address for all livable structures located outside municipal limits for the Enhanced 9-1-1 Emergency Response System. In agreement with the U. S. Postal Service, this also serves as the citizen’s mailing address.
Benefits of the 9-1-1 Address
- A property number and road name will be displayed on a computer screen at the appropriate call answering center PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point) when dialing 9-1-1 in an emergency, thus providing the greatest benefit from the Enhanced 9-1-1 service.
- When a 9-1-1 address is used as a mailing address, the U.S. Postal Service will no longer have to change rural route mailing addresses when adjusting carrier routes.
- Because a 9-1-1 address identifies the physical location of a caller on a road, the emergency responders (EMS, Fire, and Sheriff) are able to locate the caller much easier and quicker in an emergency, saving precious time and often lives.
- Utility companies will be able to better locate a structure incase of trouble.
- Business and homeowners will receive faster and more reliable deliveries by UPS, FedEx, and other delivery services, because those services require a street address for deliveries.
Guidelines for Displaying Your Address
Road Naming Petition
911 and Kids
E911 and Addressing FAQs