The following are highlights from Richland County Government in January:
• At Richland County Council’s first meeting of the year Jan. 6, members chose Councilman Torrey Rush to serve as Chair and Councilman Greg Pearce to serve as Vice Chair for 2015. Rush, who represents District 7, was first elected to Council in 2012. Pearce, first elected to Council in 1999, represents District 6.
• Five Councilmembers were sworn in for the 2014-2018 term during a public ceremony Jan. 6. Bill Malinowski, District 1, Paul Livingston, District 4, Seth Rose, District 5, and Norman Jackson, District 11, were all reelected by voters in November.
• Richland County announced the start of the funding cycle for Accommodations Tax, Hospitality Tax County Promotions and Discretionary Grant programs. These grants are for projects and programs that occur between July 1, 2015 and June 30, 2016. The deadline for applications is March 2. Nonprofit organizations with activities in Richland County may apply online here.
• Richland County Assessor John Cloyd retired Jan. 16 after working for the County for 37 years. He oversaw the general reassessment of more than 100,000 properties seven times during his tenure and watched Richland County’s estimated value increase from $1 billion in 1982 to $23.5 billion today. He served under the direction of nine County Administrators.
• The Richland County Airport Commission, which oversees the operation of the Jim Hamilton-L.B. Owens Airport (CUB), elected its officers for 2015. The new officers are Jim Christopher, Chairman; John Dean, Vice Chairman; Stuart Hope, Treasurer; and Peter Mayers, Secretary. The Commission is composed of nine members appointed by Richland County Council.
• In order to help preserve Richland County’s historical structures and protect and enhance its green spaces, the County’s Conservation Commission announced two grants, Historic Preservation and Community Conservation, are available to fund local community projects. The deadline for applications is Feb. 20. More information can be found here.